Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Nothing Changes, If Nothing Ever Changes

I have been unpleasantly surprised at the degree of negativity, cynicism, and general closed-mindedness from certain individuals who call Malibu their home. I feel the need to go into further explanation about this forum regarding the madness at First Point.
  • I am graduating from Cal State Channel Islands with a degree in Communications this May. I chose for my senior research project - Localism w/in the Surfing Community at Malibu Surfrider Beach. There is a community service aspect that must be fulfilled in order to complete the course, so I came up with the idea for this forum. If not for this course, I would not be expending the energy.
  • By hosting such a forum I am, in no way, asking that we all be friends and sing Kumbaya in the lineup. Who needs more friends?
  • I do not expect an instant fix or even a fix at all. My hope is that, if anything, it will make people think a little differently.
  • I pity those who spit fire or think time would be better spent "contemplating my sphincter." Apparently, one's proficient surfing ability does not signify a willingness, nor the self-humility, to be flexible for change.
It is up to the community to determine what ideas and themes are perpetuated in a given society. Are we being positive proactive citizens by assuming nothing can be done because nothing ever has been done?

Step outside your box. There's an amazing world out there.



3 comments:

KL said...

impressed. i'll be there.

Unknown said...

Reminds me of a quote I hung onto during my puberty days.
"It is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. But I wonder if it is better to have loved and been completely ignored than to have never loved at all".
Good luck, IT HAS TO START SOMEWHERE.

pabs said...

Surfing at the "Bu", while attending grad school at UCLA, helped me acquire those surfing techniques of "collision avoidance" and "crowd maneuvering" which have gone towards improving my skills enormously...though I'd rather surf in empty waves.